Is E-Mail Marketing just Spam?
Even though E-Mail Marketing has played a key role in Digital Marketing Mix for many years, occasionally I’m asked by business owners is ‘email marketing “spamming”?
Let’s begin by clarifying what spam is? Defined as “the flooding of Internet with many copies of the same electronic message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it”
So, if you happen to ‘find’ a list of e-mails somewhere of people you don’t know, who don’t know you and decide to e-mail them – via Outlook or indeed any E-Marketing Software then yes, that is pure spam.
Email Marketing on the other hand is permission based engagement between two parties who have a business relationship, the communication s emanates from a mailing list that the recipient has ‘opted in’ and ‘subscribed’ to. Good practice states that at this point a secondary step is taken to reconfirm the subscriber is who they say they are and that they are still interested in signing up. That eliminates error or malice from a third party.
All recipients receive an option to unsubscribe or opt-out from every mailing received. This is best practice and will ensure compliance with legislation. To avoid the label of a ‘spammer’ – it’s recommend you use dedicated e-mail marketing software.
So what are the Top 5 important tips for an email marketer?
- Send emails only to those who have requested to get them
- Send only relevant content – never anything the person has not requested.
- Send monthly if that is what the person signed up for initially, don’t start altering the frequency. Ask for permission to change the frequency always.
- To improve deliver-ability, always add a message at the top of your emails that says something like: “To ensure receipt of our emails, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your Address Book.”
- Build your list at every opportunity you have. If you’re a retailer and have walk-in premises add a point-of-sale sign-up form or to enter our competition please sign up to our newsletter.
Good food for thought – If you wish to discuss e-mail strategy and best practice, please do not hesitate to contact me on 01 6706122.
Zoomailer – The Professionals Choice.